The Internal Audit Department (IAD) is responsible for performing annual financial and compliance audits and compilation reports for Marion County Public Schools. IAD performs accounting and auditing related research to ensure successful implementation of generally accepted accounting principles and government auditing standards.
The IAD performs independent, objective assurance and consulting activities designed to add value and improve MCPS operations. It helps the school district accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes.
The purpose of internal auditing is to evaluate:
- The reliability and integrity of information
- Compliance with the institution’s policies and procedures as well as external regulations
- The safeguarding of assets
- The efficient and effective use of resources
- Accomplishment of established operational goals and objectives
Our Internal Auditing Department specializes in:
- Helping management with identifying and assessing strategic risks
- Proactively incorporating training, continuous improvement, and accountability into the management of our school district
- Assisting individuals who perform operational and financial activities with risk assessments and action plans in their responsibility areas to heighten awareness of major exposures, loss potential, and/or transactional anomalies and facilitate discussions of practical ways to manage or avoid them
- Participating in process and internal control improvement initiatives
- Helping the Board carry out their fiduciary responsibilities
- Quickly responding to management concerns about issues of compliance, allegations of fraud and employee misconduct, or any internal control weaknesses