The Academy Staff
Ms. Peggy Brookins, NBCT Peggy Brookins, NBCT
Director/ Mathematics Instructor of Engineering and Manufacturing Institute of Technology (E.M.I.T.) located on the campus of Forest High School in Ocala, Florida. E.M.I.T. is an Engineering Magnet created from a $1.2 million dollar Florida Department of Education grant that I co-wrote in 1994. Our mission is to prepare students to enter postsecondary colleges or universities in engineering, by implementing instructional strategies that incorporate technology as a part of our hands-on, rigorous academic, integrated curriculum (Honors and AP coursework), using authentic problem-solving tasks that culminate in a presentation, construction, and defense in all fields of engineering during their four years in E.M.I.T. Ms. Brookins brings thirty-eight years of teaching experience to EMIT.
2013 Aspen Ideas Festival Scholar
2013 CAEP Board Member
2013 inBloom board Member
2013 PARCC Assessment Team
2012 PARCC Content Technical Working Group Member
Named 2010 Florida Education Association “Everyday Hero”
Florida Education Association 2007 Excellence in Teaching Award Winner
National Board Certification- Adult and Young Adolescent Mathematics (renewed in 2013)
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) Board Member
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Audit Committee Chairman
Forest High School AP Coordinator
University of Florida HHP Hall of Fame Inductee 2009
University of Florida Lady Gator Basketball Hall of Fame Inductee 1978
National Trainer for American Federation of Teachers (Thinking Mathematics 1, Thinking Mathematics 2, Thinking Mathematics 3,collaborator and National Trainer for Thinking Mathematics Middle School: The Journey Into Algebra.)‘09Member of Achieve’s Mathematical Pathways writing group in correlation with the new Common Core Standards.
Review Group for American Federation of Teachers Achieve Project for Secondary Mathematics Standards
American Federation of Teachers Common Core Standards Review Group
Presenter of findings of Common Core Standards Groups findings to National Governors Association
Presenter SREB 2010 conference for National Board of Professional Teaching Standards- Louisville, Ky
Presenter for National Board Professional Teaching Standards- State of Florida Education Committee
Panelist- Learning First Alliance- How the new Common Core Standard will affect teachers.
Local Site Coordinator for Marion Education Association
Beginning Teacher Trainer for Marion County School System
Collaborator for American Federation of Teachers Local Site Coordinators Toolkit
Synergistic Activities and Awards
· 2013 National TEACH Conference Presenter Common Core Mathematical Practices
· 2013 National TEACH Conference Panelist Common Core Standards
· 2013 Teaching Channel Common Core Video- Application of Sine and Cosine
· 2012 Committee for Teacher as Professionals Member (C-TaP)
· 2011- AFT: Introduction to Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice Webinar
· 2011- The Conference Board of Mathematical Sciences Ad Hoc Committee on Teachers as Professionals
· 2011- AFT TEACH Conference presenter-Making Sense of Underlying Mathematical Structures
· 2011- AFT TEACH Conference presenter- STEM Education in High School
· 2011- Center for Teacher Quality- Effective Teachers and Performance Pay Team
· 2011- Speaker Florida Senate- Teacher Quality
· 2010- Speaker Florida House Education Committee- National Board and the Dale Hickman Act
· 2011Phi Delta Kappa National Conference Keynote Speaker - E.M.I.T.
· 2009 Hill Day Washington D.C. – National Board for Professional Teaching StandardsReader/Reviewer for American Federation of Teachers Achieve Project 2009
· Getting It Right Webinar panelist , NBPTS October, 2011
· The Sircle Inc., “Pioneer Award” 2011
· Lead Mentor- FIRST TEAM 3242 Florida Regional Chairman’s Award 2011
· Lead Mentor- FIRST TEAM 3242 Florida Regional Entrepreneurship Award 2011
· Phi Delta Kappa EDge Magazine Feature 2010- Engaging Students in STEM Education
· The National Journal (NJ) Education Expert on its Blog.
· Reader/Reviewer for American Federation of Teachers Common Core Standards Initiative – National Governors Association (NGA), Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) in partnership with Achieve, ACT and the College Board 2009 (www.corestandards.org)
· Presenter to National Governors Association: Common Core Standards 2009
· Presenter Quality Education Standards in Teaching (QuEST): Thinking Math Middle School: The Journey to Algebra - Linear vs Quadratic
· Presenter for National Board of Professional Teaching Standards: PreK-12 Education Appropriations Committee; Saving National Board in Florida 2009
· College of Health and Human Performance Hall of Fame Inductee – University Of Florida 2009
· Salute to Excellence Awardee - National Education Association 2008
· Presenter Quality Education Standards in Teaching (QuEST): Thinking Mathematics Middle School: The Journey to Algebra 2007-2009
· Leon County Thinking Mathematics Consultant, 2005- Present
· Academy consultant- Clay County Contract Team Orange Park High School 2001. Highlights: Explore the Academy Concept, View a Successful Program, Determine Unique Needs, Design It Your Way.
· High Schools That Work Evaluation Team 2000
· Recognized Best Practices – SERBS 2000
(i) Collaborations and Other Affiliations
Collaborators: Alice Gill (AFT); Darion Griffin (AFT) Robert Ham, Ph. D. (MEA); Rosalind LaRocque , Ph. D. (AFT); John Ribeiro, West Warwick, R.I. , Jody Papini, Douglas County, CO.; Peter VanNote (MCPS).
P.L. Brookins, “Why Do I Teach” Go Teach. P. 15, VOL,1,NO 1|August/September 2011
P.L. Brookins, “Should There Be an Eighth-grade Algebra Requirement?”
American Teacher. p. 3, VOL. 93, NO. 4 | December 2008/ January 2009
P.L. Brookins, Thinking Mathematics Middle School: The Journey to Algebra Research (2006) Modeling and Representing Linear Function pp. 256-259.