Instructor & Preferred Contact Information
- Michael L. Whitaker
- E-mail: Michael.Whitaker@marion.k12.fl.us
The best way to get a quick response for Parents & Students is e-mail
- My Website can be accessed from Faculty & Staff link on FHS website OR
On my website is a link for Voter Registration – Strongly encouraged!
- School Website: http://www.forest.org/
Students will gain an understanding of American Government and political behavior essential for effective American citizenship and active involvement in our Democratic Republic. We will begin with the History of freedom and its impact on our form of Constitutional Government. Next, we go to our Constitution and learn what it allows Government to do, and then to the Supreme Court Cases that have shaped our Civil Liberties. We will examine Current Events daily as they relate to what we learn in Class.
* * Students are required to have a notebook for American Governmentsuccess * *
Classroom Procedures/Teacher Expectations
- My job is to teach (I take it seriously), the Student’s job is to participate & learn
- Students are to be seated and ready for class when tardy bell rings. All FHS tardy policies will
be followed, i.e., referral on third and each additional tardy
- All homework and/or notebooks are to be placed on your desk at the beginning of class.
- Class work is due at the end of the activity and/or period per teacher instructions
- Cell Phones are to be OFF & OUT OF SIGHT before Class begins
- If you are absent, e-mail me on missed work &/or get notes from another Student
An organized notebook for this class is important! A Student is allowed to use their Notes from Class on Tests & Quizzes. If a Student is absent they are encouraged to hand-copy notes from another Student – BEFORE CLASS (no photo-copies). A Student caught with someone else’s notes during a Test or Quiz will receive a ZERO! (As well as any Student who knowingly provides them for cheating)
10%- Homework - (I give very little)
40%- Classwork: Primary Source Essays (related to topics being covered)
Quizzes (from Homework)
50% - Tests (very important that Students are ready with their Notes)
- Projects (2 Poster Projects & 1 Voting Project)
Did I mention that Cell Phones are to be OFF & OUT OF SIGHT?
Classroom Management System
Procedures and Routines
1. Be in your seat and ready to work when the bell rings: Purses, bags, and backpacks on the
floor, only notebook & pen/pencil on your desk
2. Drinks allowed in class… but NO FOOD! And NO CELL PHONES!
3. To go to the Restroom, sign-out and take the pass with you (don’t disrupt Class by asking).
But if you leave class to go to the Restroom, DO NOT disrupt the class upon your return by
asking, “What did I miss?”… you chose to leave, but the show goes on. During Testing,
Students may not go to Restroom.
4. No Sleeping in Class! (I define what “sleeping” is)
5. When I stand in front of the Class and raise my hand, stop talking! I have something to share
6. Listen carefully to all instructions for all Assignments (major cause of poor grades)
7. When questions are asked, think about your answer, and then raise your hand (No blurting
out answers, it disrupts the learning process)
8. When working in Small Groups, talking should be relevant to the assignment
9. If a message comes over the intercom or if the Phone rings… Stop Talking!
10. Makeup work or Tests are your responsibility… they are expected by the next Class day.
Missed Tests are taken before School – 7:30 – 1 week window.
11. If class work is over before the Bell, Students may calmly move about the room and talk
12. When I declare that work for the day is over, you may prepare to leave. The Bell does not
dismiss you… I do. Don’t start packing & zipping, & clipping beforehand.
My Basic Rules
1. No talking while the Teacher, a Student, or anyone else is addressing the Class – Listen!
2. I ask a LOT of questions! Raise your hand to participate in discussions
3. Use only proper speech
4. Don’t touch others, or their stuff
5. NO CELL PHONES…PERIOD! Forest Policy: OFF & OUT OF SIGHT from bell to bell.
6.DO NOTleave my room without a Pass
7. When asked to stop talking… JUST STOP!
#1 cause of Discipline Referrals: Just keep talking!
Consequences for Bad Behavior
1. Minor infractions will be politely pointed out on the first occurrence and the whole Class will
be reminded of the infraction from the Class Rules
2. If infractions continue, a private conference will be held in the Hallway with Student and me
agreeing on future consequences of a repeat offense (moved to another seat, Referral, etc.)
3. The next infraction is a reminder of our Hallway conference and the carrying out of any
consequences agreed upon by the Student and me – and a Phone Call Home.
4. Cell Phone use during Class – Parent pick-up!
5. Plagiarism & Cheating are antithetical to the Education process and will be dealt with severely
Did I mention that Cell Phones are to be OFF & OUT OF SIGHT?Did I mention that Cell Phones are to be OFF & OUT OF SIGHT?