In the spring of 2009 Lake Weir Middle qualified to become a Title I school wide project. Title I is the largest federally funded program for education under the No Child Left Behind legislation. Title I funds are used to help children who are struggling academically and to ensure that all children meet the state's academic standards. Title I funds in Marion County are allocated to all schools with 75% or more students on free and reduced lunch.
Title I funds will be used at LWM to:
- Hire teacher assistants
- Purchase material and equipment
- Support technology needs in the school
- Support after school tutorial programs
- Provide limited after school transportation
- Provide teacher training
Many other services are provided by Title I and information regarding them will be distributed throughout the year. Because of this status LWM will be held accountable by meeting the requirements of NCLB. This includes meeting Adequate Yearly Progress. Information regarding AYP will be available in the fall of each year.
On September 9, 2011 all parents are invited to attend an informational meeting regarding the school’s participation in Title I, requirements of the program, and parents right to be involved. The meeting will be held in the school auditorium at 7:00pm.
Documents concerning the schools progress and future plans are available in the front office. They include:
- School Improvement Plan
- District Title 1 Parent Involvement Plan http://www.marion.k12.fl.us/dept/feb/extra/file/TitleIPlan.pdf
- District SPAR (NCLB accountability report)
- LWM SPAR (NCLB accountability report)
Parent involvement is both welcomed and encouraged. Opportunities include but are not limited to: School Advisory Counsel, open house, grade level meetings, PTSA meetings, FDLRS parent meetings, parent conferences, AIP and IEP meetings, responding to phone calls and survey request, reading literature such as; student handbooks, newsletters, progress reports, school web sites and report cards.
Opportunities to request meetings are made through the guidance office. Meetings with individual or all teachers can be arranged as well as with administrators. Teachers are available for conferencing during the following hours:
- 6th grade – Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 8:05am – 9:00am
- 7th grade - Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8:05am – 9:00am
- 8th grade – Monday, Thursday, Friday 8:05am – 9:00am
Parents “Right To Know”
As a parent of Lake Weir Middle you have the right to know the qualifications of the classroom teachers who instruct your child. NCLB law allows you to ask for certain information about your child’s teachers. You have the right to ask for the following information about your child’s teachers or support staff who may provide services to your child:
- Whether the Florida Department of Education has licensed or qualified the teacher for the grade level or subjects they teach.
- Whether the Florida Department of Education has decided that the teacher can teach in a classroom without being licensed or qualified under state regulations because of certain circumstance.
- The teachers college major; whether the teacher has any advanced degrees and if so, the subject of the degrees.
- Whether any teacher assistant or paraprofessional provides services to your child and, if they do, their qualifications.
Florida’s Parent Involvement Resource Centers
District Parent Resource Center
Howard Academy Community Center(HACC), Room 6
306 NW 7th Ave.